|1||Kg Channa Dal, bengal gram|
|7||Coconuts or 500 Gms of Dried Shredded Coconut|
|1 cup||Coconut Milk, thai or any brand|
Boil the channa dal till well done, cool and blend to a smooth paste with the coconut milk. Grate the coconuts and grind to a fine paste, if using shredded coconut just add as is. Mix the coconut, sugar and channa dal well, and in a heavy bottomed pan keep on slow fire and keep stirring continuously with a spatula or flat wooden spoon to prevent it from scorching. After half an hour of stirring add the ghee. Continue stirring till the mixture begins to collect together and starts leaving the sides of the pan, nearly a soft ball stage. Remove from fire, roll on board already greased with ghee, or lined with foil. Keep for about ten minutes and then cut into squares. Slivered almond can also be used as a garnish, just after it has been rolled out.
See pictures of the raw dal and the prepared doce.
Doce de Grao (microwave recipe)
9 oz split gram dal (channa dal)
2 cups water
18 oz sugar
¾ cups water
12 oz shredded coconut
2-3 tablespoons margarine or butter
1 teaspoon powdered cardamoms
1. Soak dal overnight. Wash and boil the dal in 2 cups of water until it softens.
2. Make a thick syup of sugar and ¾ cup of water.
3. Blend coconut and dal in blender until fine paste.
4. In a big microwave bowl, mix well the sugar syrup and the dal mix.
5. Microwave for 10 minutes, remove, stir well and return for another 10 minutes, continue to do this until the mixture leaves the sides of the bowl and forms a ball (approx 4 times 10 mins each)
6. Mix in the margarine or butter and the cardamom powder, run in the microwave another 5 minutes.
7. Remove and roll on a buttered board and cut into diamond shape when slightly cool.